Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day Seventy-six, 090515 - New Orleans, LA

Day Seventy-six, Date Friday, May 15, 2009
Time in Saddle: n/a (Still in New Orleans)
Distance for the Day: n/a
Accumulated Trip Distance: n/a
Altitudes: n/a
Speeds: n/a
Weather: 73° in the AM, warming and somewhat humid
Expenditures: $20

Got up at 7am and had corn flakes for breakfast. Ray was working at the local office, today, so fixed a flat on his bike and took off. Emily took Texas out for a romp and came back to do light housework and chores. I caught up on blog writing in the morning, and took off to see the local Audubon Nature Institute aquarium in the afternoon ($18). It was a nice, standard aquarium with the usual displays such as a walk-through underwater tube, large shark tank, penguins, jellyfish, seahorses, eels, and even an albino alligator (same as San Francisco’s new Academy of Sciences). I always enjoy a visit to the aquarium! I stayed until closing time at 5pm, bought some roasted pumpkin seeds to gnaw on ($2), and hung out, looking out at the Mississippi River, and watched the ferry load cars and people, and then head out across the river to the other side, about a mile away. Ray, Emily and I planned to touch base in the evening to make plans for dinner in the French Quarter. I got the message on my cell phone that they were already waiting in line at a restaurant they had been wanting to try that was pretty close to where I was, so I went over to meet them, there. They treated me, and I had Jambalaya (sausage and chicken in flavored rice), *and* they talked me into trying “crawpuppies.” These are small balls of crawfish, dipped in batter and deep-fried. They weren’t bad – not fishy at all; surprise, surprise! After dinner, we walked around through that ca-RAY-zee Bourbon Street area, and went to the architecture office Ray worked in to retrieve his and Emily’s bikes. We then went back to the restaurant to get my trike, and from there, we pedaled home. Man, that Emily *moves* on that bike of hers! As usual, I stayed up late blogging, while my hosts went to bed. Ray had a racquetball tournament in the morning, so needed his rest. I stayed up until 4:30am blogging. Whee!

No comments: