Friday, October 30, 2009

Day Two Hundred Thirty-five, 091021 - Port Angeles, WA

Day Two Hundred Thirty-five, Date Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Time in Saddle: 1:19
Distance for the Day: 9.38 miles From Sequim To Port Angeles, WA
Accumulated Trip Distance: 11,523 miles
Altitudes: Starting/Ending ??/451’, Highest: 468’ Accumulated: 1411’
Speeds: Avg: 7.1 mph, Max: 26.8 mph
Weather: Overcast and lightyly rainy
Expenditures: $7

(Pictures at last!) I got up at about 8am, and continued to reload info into phone/computer. Paula fixed me a bowl of cereal with blueberries and banana slices, and at noon, she took me to the post office so I could mail home a box of the bits of detritus from my recent purchases, and showed me where I could pick up a nice rails-to-trails bike path from Sequim to Port Angeles, before returning home. I was going to get a late start, today!
At 2:53pm, I was ready to hit road from Dennis and Paula B’s home in Sequim, there was sun out earlier, but had become overcast, again. I hated to know it, but I had now entering a wet period – it was going to be rainy or drizzly until the unknown future – ugh! My hosts were wonderful! They put me up, fed me with great food, drove me all over the place, and we talked and talked – they were not just great hosts – I feel like they’re my newest friends. Dennis had taken off before I woke up this morning, so I missed saying ‘bye’ to him, but Paula and I left the house at the same time, and I said ‘bye’ and ‘thanks’ to her. Just as I started heading back to the paved roads of Sequim, it started to sprinkle at 3:01pm – great. I used the Discovery Trail Paula showed me, and made Port Angeles at 5pm. It was beautiful, but windy, hilly, and took about 2 hours to go its 13 mile length. I tried out my new poncho, and that worked pretty well, keeping the water that collects on my chest and stomach from then leaking into my rain jacket’s zipper. I spent about 1.5 hours exploring PA to see if I could find someplace to replace my Joby tripod (I forgot about it when we did all the shopping, before), but didn’t find anything. In the meantime, it got dark, so I stopped to get a Subway meal deal ($7) and food and drink for the road at a mini mart ($3), and then took off in the dark up Hwy 101, looking for a stealth camp. The weather cleared, and I found a place behind a car repair business at 8pm (N48 6.310’ W123 29.324’) and got in to eat and read at 8:30pm, before going to sleep at 9:34pm; the temperature was about 56°.

No comments: