Friday, October 30, 2009

Day Two Hundred Thirty-eight, 091024 - Queets, WA

Day Two Hundred Thirty-eight, Date Saturday, October 24, 2009
Time in Saddle: 5:12
Distance for the Day: 51.67 miles From Beaver To Queets, WA
Accumulated Trip Distance: 11,699 miles
Altitudes: Starting/Ending 321’/10’, Highest: 482’ Accumulated: 1637’
Speeds: Avg: 9.9 mph, Max: 35.4 mph
Weather: 44° mostly cloudy, breaking up and clearing at the coast
Expenditures: $12

I woke up at 6:45am. It hadn’t rained all night, so I got a great night’s sleep. I realized this was Saturday morning, when I usually give my Auntie M a call, but belatedly realized I didn’t put her phone number on my new phone, yet. I signed up for one day’s worth of web access on my new phone, and got my Uncle Leo’s phone number using Zabasearch. I called him, and we chatted a bit, and then he gave me Auntie M’s phone number, and I then called her. I finished at 8:15am, got out, and saw that it was a partly cloudy day, which quickly became mostly cloudy and foggy. In this desolate place, it was kind of pretty, in an eerie sort of way, so I took a few pictures, broke down camp, packed the trike, and was ready to roll by 9:10am. I was now heading south – how exciting! I stopped at 10:20am for a mini mart breakfast of hot cocoa, carrot cake, muffin and got food drink supplies ($9) in the town of Forks, WA. Since I lost my camera, I find I now need yet *another* Joby tripod (this will be the fourth!). I’ll be checking likely stores in every town I come to, but they’re hard to find, and it’ll probably be a while before I can replace it. I also need another SD-to-USB adapter, but Radio Shack regularly carries those.
When I arrived at the coast, I left the last dregs of clouds behind, and it was totally clear. The road following the coastline was rolling, but relatively flat, and quite pleasant. At 3:20pm I got my first view of Pacific Ocean since March (when I was in Los Angeles) by standing on a picnic table to look over a bunch of bushes at Ruby Beach. I could see a huge, miles-long beach that looked good for boogie boarding, but not so much for surfing. I stopped in Queets to get food and drink at the local mini mart ($3) and thought I’d check out the local community center for a potential stealth camp. The center was somewhat isolated from the small, nearby neighborhood, and it had an external power outlet, so I plugged in to charge my laptop and phone. I read my book while waiting; the computer charged up pretty quickly, but the phone took almost 2 hours, even though it was down only one bar – sheesh! Cars would pass by, going to and from the nearby neighborhood, but nobody either saw me, or if they did, didn’t seem to mind my being there. It got dark, but I was still lit up by the security lighting around the area, so I could still read. After my phone finally finished charging, I looked around to see where the best place to set up my tent, and decided on the end of the dead end street that was right next to the community center building front door. I was visible from the road where all the traffic was passing by, but I guess I was far enough away, about 100 yards, that if I didn’t jump up and down, waving my trike’s flag, I was fairly unnoticeable. I got no visits from the local constabulary or other disturbances the entire night – how nice! I set up and hopped in by 8pm, and went right to sleep. (I didn’t want to push my luck by lighting up my tent by reading with a light.) I woke up at 11pm – that’s pretty regular for me – went back to sleep – woke up at 2:30am, and drank the rest of my soda, which I always hold in reserve for when I get thirsty, which is also a pretty regular thing. Zzzzzz!

No comments: