Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day One Hundred Sixty-nine, 090816 - Niagara Falls, Ont

Day One Hundred Sixty-nine, Date Sunday, August 16, 2009
Time in Saddle: 7:43
Distance for the Day: 68.79 miles From Byron, NY To Niagara Falls, NY
Accumulated Trip Distance: 7980.0 miles
Altitudes: Starting/Ending 731’/685’, Highest: 827’ Accumulated: 1352’
Speeds: Avg: 8.9 mph, Max: 22.9 mph
Weather: 68° partly cloudy, clearing to mostly sunny
Expenditures: $10

As a result of all the train activity waking me up, I woke up late at 6:25am; also, the clouds kept the sun from being brighter. I broke down and was ready to roll at 7:10am. I did get hit by mosquitoes several times the previous night (Demitol). I had a bathroom emergency this morning, and the whole region was devoid of mini marts. I went to a small market, but they had no public restroom, but my body thought I was near one, so in its idiot reactionary way, was really putting on the pressure. I went across the street and found a sympathetic homeowner with access to the local Legionnaire clubhouse; he opened it up and let me use the loo (woo!)
Stopped in Byron for breakfast choco milk and banana nut muffin ($3) from 7:45 – 8:10am. At 8:40am I was riding up a slight grade and saw a chipmunk on the shoulder up ahead about 7 yards away, so I stopped to watch him, and he started running my way. He got within 2’ and waited there, letting me get a really close look at him for half a minute before scampering off into the bushes; I also saw a mole or rat where he first came out, but he jumped right back into the bush. I just love to watch the wildlife! I continued heading west on Hwy 262, and stopped for lunch between 1-1:40pm ($10 - sandwich and 2 sodas). Then I switched to Hwy 93, and hit the town of Niagara at 3:50pm, just a few miles from Niagara Falls. I spent a couple of hours touring the three major view sites for the falls; got lots of looks and comments about my trike from the people at the sites; took lots of pictures and even a bit of video, before leaving to cross into Canada at 7pm. There was a huge multi-lane long line of cars across the Rainbow Bridge to where the border agents checked you through, but I was able to move through/between the cars to get to the head of the line. I also stopped to look off the side of the bridge – must have been 500’ or 600’ above the river! I have a habit of spitting off bridges, and this was by far the longest time for my spit to hit the water – I was amazed I could still see it. Meanwhile, at the head of the line, I stopped to pull out my passport, and the next car there graciously signaled to let me go ahead of him. The customs agent was a pleasant young fellow who was amused and amazed at my trike, and what little of the story I had to tell him. He asked if I had any weapons and I replied, “not even a slingshot,” and he passed me through. I futzed around the area right around the border crossing which was very touristy (haunted houses, 3D dinosaur movies, chachka shops, restaurants, hotels and motels, etc.) before stopping at a bank ATM to get $40 of Canadian money, and then went on to locate a stealth camp as it was already getting dark. I found a small church with a truck next to a fence in its back lot, so I set up my tent behind the truck (N43 5.466’ W79 6.630’); lot of mosquitoes. Later that night, a car came into the parking lot – it must have just wanted to turn around, because it came and went, and they never got out. The temperature was quite warm in the low 80s and somewhat humid, but that didn’t stop me from falling asleep. Nothing ever does, now that I come to think of it.

No comments: