Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day One Hundred Seventy-two, 090819 - Lions Head, Ont

Day One Hundred Seventy-two, Date Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Time in Saddle: 8:14
Distance for the Day: 81.55 miles From Durham To Lions Head, Ont
Accumulated Trip Distance: 8206.9 miles
Altitudes: Starting/Ending 1339’/796’, Highest: 1391’ Accumulated: 1791’
Speeds: Avg: 9.9 mph, Max: 31.2 mph
Weather: 62° clear and dry, warming to low 70s
Expenditures: $16C

It was nice and quiet back behind the church, but some knucklehead down in the park behind the church yelled about 4 times at about 3:45am, and then at 4:30am, I heard what was probably a dog-walker go “oh!” (they must have been surprised at coming upon me back there) and heard a dog come snuffling at my tent, but experienced no further intrusions after that. I got up at 5:30am, and was broke down and ready to roll at 6:10am. The sky was clear, the air was dry, and I could see Venus in the growing light of day. The bats were flying all over and even around me, and the bees are going into a small hole between some bricks at about 10” from ground level – neat! I took off, but then stopped at 7:45am for a breakfast of hot cocoa, scone and date bar at a small restaurant ($4C), before continuing on at 8:26am north on Hwy 6.
Oops! I took a wrong turn from Wiarton 6-miles to a touristy resort town called Sauble Beach, but I at least got my first look at Lake Huron; I don’t think I’ve ever seen a lake where you couldn’t see the other side, before. Since I was there anyways, I stopped for lunch ($12C), and charged up the notebook, camera, and did some blog writeups. I left at 2:12pm back to Wiarton to pick up my route, again. The weather was predicted to rain for the next several days, but for the time being, it was beautiful. Brought out my iPod to specifically begin learning Joni Mitchell’s “The Circle Game” song. It took about a half the day to get the lyrics mostly right, and then another half day to get most of the nuances and timings down. An amazingly true, touching, and somewhat difficult song to learn – at first, I had trouble not choking up from the emotional content behind the lyrics and music (I must be getting sentimental in my old age). I found that evening’s stealth camp at 7:30pm; a Canadian Legion clubhouse with nice lawn in back (N45 00.379’ W81 18.357’), but it had tons of mosquitoes and slugs (yech!) The weather was still clear and temperate, though later that night, I was awakened by one flash of lightning and thunder about two miles distant, and got a little rain – not too bad.

No comments: