Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day One Hundred Sixty-eight, 090815 - Byron, NY

Day One Hundred Sixty-eight, Date Saturday, August 15, 2009
Time in Saddle: 2:35
Distance for the Day: 24.28 miles From Rochester, NY To Byron, NY
Accumulated Trip Distance: 7911.2
Altitudes: Starting/Ending 600’/731’, Highest: ?? Accumulated: ??
Speeds: Avg: 9.4 mph, Max: 42.5 mph
Weather: 87° and warming to low 90s, mostly cloudy all day
Expenditures: $15

Left to leave Scott and Katie’s home at 2:31pm – the weather was mostly cloudy, but some blue, warm, and somewhat humid. I did manage to upload all my blog writeups and pictures, and added stealth camp locations to Google Maps. Scott and Katie’s house is *very* nice; a new duplex with two stories, a basement, and a small porch in the back. Thanks for having me to stay!

I spent a lot of time today working on my faulty fender and making a new sun blocker for my helmet. I ended up removing the struts off the fender completely, and used my Leatherman knife tip to drill a hole in the plastic of the fender, then threaded the hole with a spare bolt I had, and bolted the fender to a conveniently positioned hole in the back of my rear rack (that was lucky). Then I did some dumpster diving and found a piece of thin plastic from some packing material which I could cut out and fashion into a sun shield for my helmet. Since my journey has turned west, the sun in the afternoon blasts into my eyes, and I would have to ride one-handed so I could use the other hand to shield my eyes – that was not happening. I used the wire donated from the hardware store, and a couple blobs of Shoe-Goo, and walla-walla: I now have a working, adjustable sun visor for my helmet – what a relief! It works great. I stopped at 5:15pm to stock up on food and drink ($15), and there met Hal and Rachel, a father and daughter pair of local cyclists, We chatted, I took their picture, and then I took off again at 5:45pm continuing west on Hwy 33A. At about 7:15pm, I found a complex of school and athletic field, and across the street there was a playground ( N43 4.631’ W78 00.416’), so I hung out behind some covered picnic benches reading until the mosquitoes started coming out at 8:30pm. I hung my hammock on a swingset, and cloaked my trike. The sun was an orange ball. After it got dark, a truck came up to empty some trash bins, but I was hidden well enough that he didn’t see me, and he left shortly without interaction. This area must have a few sets of train tracks running through it, as there were several trains throughout the night that woke me up, but I’d just go right back to sleep, again.

No comments: