Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day One Hundred Forty-eight, 090725 - York Harbor, ME

Day One Hundred Forty-seven, Date Saturday, July 25, 2009
Time in Saddle: 6:39
Distance for the Day: 67.18 miles From Saugus, MA To York Harbor, ME
Accumulated Trip Distance: 6809.01
Altitudes: Starting/Ending 136’/54’, Highest: 238’ Accumulated: 2254’
Speeds: Avg: 10.1 mph, Max: 41.6 mph
Weather: 65° clear, becoming partly cloudy, then clear again in afternoon
Expenditures: $22

Completely clear skies, sun was already up before 6am; snoozed until 5:30am and got up; ready to roll at 5:57am stopped at DD from 6:30am to 7am $4 for choco milk small donut and bagel/cream cheese; charging the laptop will try continuing up Rte 1; see if I can get away with it; was riding along Rt 1 and passed a cop who was giving someone a ticket, a few minutes later I saw him following me for a while, I guess keeping an eye on me, making sure I wasn’t getting into or making any trouble, he pulled off after a few more minutes and left me alone; now 10:30am hit the town of Salsbury $2 for drink and $4 for food; stopped btwn 2:45 and 3:30 at Subway for meal deal ($9) heading towards Portsmouth; made Maine at 5:18pm after spending about 45 minutes around Portsmouth doing pictures and videos; crossed the smaller bridge, but noticed a “no cycles” sign after crossing it; but no one seemed to mind, and I made it across without incident; 5:19pm weather this morning was clear, as I went north, it got really cloudy, then became partly cloudy, and now in the evening, it’s almost completely clear again, and temperature/humidity is very nice, so, a good start for Maine; spent $3 for choco malt at DQ now 6:15pm and cont on; found a marginal stealth camp in a large parking lot behind a church in the town of York Harbor, ME (N43° 8.319' W70° 38.852'). I knocked on the door but no one answered. I read my book, checking for traffic or to see if anyone would show up, but nothing happened, so I set up my tent and got to sleep by 9:30pm. At 2:08am, I got awakened by the sound of a car and its lights shining on my tent. It was a cop (Demitol!) He was nice and friendly enough, but said I couldn’t stay – at least he didn’t give me a ticket. I packed up and left by 2:32am. Of course, I knew this kind of thing would happen every now and then, and am always mentally prepared for it, so it wasn’t particularly traumatic – just a minor annoyance, really.


DregerClock.org said...

Great Blog! I only just today discovered your trip from a link on http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=51583

Are you a member of that site? You have your own thread going in their forum now!

VinceC said...

Hi Don:

Check out this Russia Today story about another cyclist in interesting territory--this one has only been on the road for nine years.


obi_donkenobi said...

Hi DregerClock: Thanks! I didn't know about bentrideronline, I'll take a look - cool that there's a thread on ME, there!

Hi Vince: Whoa! Nine months is enough for me - but nine *years*?!! Holy molybdenum, Batman!