Sunday, November 8, 2009

Day Two Hundred Forty-five, 091031 - Coos Bay, OR

Day Two Hundred Forty-five, Date Saturday, October 31, 2009
Time in Saddle: 5:26
Distance for the Day: 52.08 miles From Florence To Coos Bay, OR
Accumulated Trip Distance: 12,086 miles
Altitudes: Starting/Ending 107’/56’, Highest: 382’ Accumulated: 1975’
Speeds: Avg: 9.5 mph, Max: 36.0 mph
Weather: 53° light overcast in the morning
Expenditures: $21

I woke and got up at 7:17am – a bit late for me, and not too surprising since I hadn’t slept but 15 minutes since the night-before-last. It began to rain really hard just after midnight for a while, with gusts pushing my tent around. At around 12:30am, I put my earplugs in and went back to sleep. The river rock did have good drainage, so I was able to brake down and pack away my gear without being too soggy, and was ready to enter Florence to look for breakfast by 8:41am. I stopped at a mini mart, and got a breakfast of hot cocoa, and a blueberry Danish + some food and drink items ($6). I got into Reedsport at 12:40pm, and stopped at a café to get a bowl of chili and soda ($9) to eat with the other half of my Subway sandwich. I also charged up the notebook and phone, and read my book. I took off again at 2pm to continue south along the Oregon coast. I have to say, I’m very impressed with the coastal bicycle route Oregon created. It’s not perfect; there were times when the shoulder disappeared, usually when the mountainous roads become curvy, and then there’s the sometimes rough road surfaces, or those thorny creeper vines. All in all, though, it’s been excellent. Kudos to Oregon! Not much happened today – I just plugged away, getting in the miles. There were some pretty areas along the way, and I’d stop every now and then to take some pictures.

Stopped in at a combo café/bookstore in Coos Bay, OR to get a hot cocoa and scone ($6). As the evening began to darken at about 6:45pm, I found a spot in front of an elementary school at the southern end of town which was above Hwy 101 on a small hillside (N43 21.242’ W124 12.023’). It was still pretty noisy, but I managed to sleep without earplugs – I don’t like to put them in if there’s a chance that passer-bys could notice my trike and maybe mess around with it. There was a house nearby with a couple of people, who could have seen me but apparently didn’t. I set up my tent and got in with food, drink and book which I ate, drank, and read until 9pm. There were a few dog walkers that passed by, but they didn’t bother me, and I slept mostly well except for the occasional wake up from traffic noise. For a Halloween night with a beautiful almost-full Moon, it passed pretty quietly.

No comments: